How come there's no group for Window Live Hotmail???
JethroUK©
2009-08-30 09:14:49 UTC
How come there's no group for Window Live Hotmail???

conspicuous by its absence since hotmail is pants and needs far more support
than any other Live app, and probably has bigger user base than any other
windas live app
Ildhund
2009-08-30 11:12:22 UTC
?
http://windowslivehelp.com
Noel
Picsoe
2009-08-30 14:48:02 UTC
The help-link is Ok but that does not explain why there is not also a forum for
Mail
Calendar
Movie Maker
etc

It is not consitent to have one for Photo Gallery and not for the other Live
applications.
Noel
StephenB
2009-08-30 15:06:15 UTC
Forums are coming. The first ones deployed on answers.microsoft.com a few weeks
ago:
Windows Live Forums -
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowslive
• Windows Live Family Safety
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlfamily/threads
• Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, and FrameIt
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmedia/threads
• Sync and Devices
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlsync/threads
• Windows Live Events and Toolbar
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlevents/threads

I think that the grouping of services and naming is a mistake, but perhaps that
will be modified moving forward. I don't know when the other Windows Live
services and programs will get their own forums, but it is my understanding that
it is in the works.
-steve
Post by JethroUK©
and needs far more support than any other Live app, and probably
has bigger user base than any other windas live app
http://windowslivehelp.com
--
Noel
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
***@mvps.org
Walter Blanchard
StephenB
2009-08-31 00:12:12 UTC
True, Walter. I have always wondered about the lack of an NNTP newsgroup for
Hotmail. I won't get into a debate of nntp vs. forums, as I am and have been an
nntp user for a very long time and like it a whole lot. However, I also see the
benefit of web based forums.
-steve
Post by Walter Blanchard
Unfortunately, none on NNTP
--
Walter B
***@mvps.org
Walter Blanchard
2009-08-31 13:22:55 UTC
Steve,

Believe me, I wasn't trying to start yet another debate. That dead horse
has been beaten into dust.
--
Walter B
Post by StephenB
True, Walter. I have always wondered about the lack of an NNTP newsgroup for
Hotmail. I won't get into a debate of nntp vs. forums, as I am and have been an
nntp user for a very long time and like it a whole lot. However, I also see the
benefit of web based forums.
-steve
Post by Walter Blanchard
Unfortunately, none on NNTP
--
Walter B
...winston
2009-09-01 01:54:26 UTC
Walter,
I agree with Steve being a long time user of nttp forums, I never heard a good reason why Live Photo Gallery managed to have
one(nttp) and not Writer.

The grouping for the online forums also doesn't make much sense being buried under Windows Vista. Maybe it will be fixed and
hopefully easier findable.
e.g.
Not findable here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/dd296759.aspx ??
or here
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/

but here
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Post by StephenB
True, Walter. I have always wondered about the lack of an NNTP newsgroup for
Hotmail. I won't get into a debate of nntp vs. forums, as I am and have been an
nntp user for a very long time and like it a whole lot. However, I also see the
benefit of web based forums.
-steve
Post by Walter Blanchard
Unfortunately, none on NNTP
--
Walter B
Walter Blanchard
2009-09-02 16:34:01 UTC
I'm not holding my breath, Winston
--
Walter B
Post by StephenB
True, Walter. I have always wondered about the lack of an NNTP newsgroup for
Hotmail. I won't get into a debate of nntp vs. forums, as I am and have been an
nntp user for a very long time and like it a whole lot. However, I also see the
benefit of web based forums.
-steve
Post by Walter Blanchard
Unfortunately, none on NNTP
--
Walter B
Gary VanderMolen
2009-08-31 19:28:27 UTC
Somehow the concept of Hotmail users and NNTP doesn't jibe...
;-)
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
Post by StephenB
True, Walter. I have always wondered about the lack of an NNTP newsgroup for
Hotmail. I won't get into a debate of nntp vs. forums, as I am and have been an
nntp user for a very long time and like it a whole lot. However, I also see the
benefit of web based forums.
-steve
Post by Walter Blanchard
Unfortunately, none on NNTP
--
Walter B
JethroUK©
2009-08-30 18:16:34 UTC
Again Hotmail seems conspicuous in it's absence - and it would quite
obviously would get more hits than all the other groups put together

Is it so poorly produced that Microsoft are actively distancing themselves
from it?
MHL

JethroUK©
2009-08-30 19:43:05 UTC
Post by MHL
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
.....pretend that hotmail doesn't exist

the very word 'hotmail' seems to leave a nasty taste in their mouth - they
certainly wont support it
N. Miller
2009-08-30 19:56:11 UTC
Post by MHL
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Not really the right place for "Windows Live Hotmail". There never was a
"proper" place. But 'microsoft.public.msn.discussion' was sort of an /ad
hoc/ group, for a while.
Post by MHL
Or just go to support on the hotmail page.
Indeed. As far as I know, the only support for Hotmail is in one, or more,
web forums; no NNTP groups in the 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
StephenB
2009-08-31 00:10:13 UTC
Hotmail already has a forum that is staffed by Hotmail support personnel -
http://windowslivehelp.com/Default.aspx

I am hoping that there will be a forum on Answers for Hotmail, too, when the
rest of the forums go live.
-steve
***@mvps.org
...winston
2009-08-30 22:34:09 UTC
There never has been a Hotmail unique group.
In the past questions were fielded in two nntp groups
microsoft.public.internet.mail
microsoft.public.msn.disussion

That latter doing double duty for MSN software and Hotmail was called previously called MSN Hotmail.

Ever since the Hotmail Solution went online many of the folks who monitor that forum now just point persons to the web forum. Some
of us, if the question can be answered, continue to answer the question rather than tell someone to go elsewhere, requiring
registerring a Live ID for site use, re-ask the question, and then find it later after some support moderator has moved it to
another location, or Hotmail support incorrectly answers the question yet tags it as a correct answer.

Thus, if you do have a Hotmail specific question that is not related to verification of your account(access, incorrect password),
I've no qualms about answering it here or in those two above groups.

Due note, as time goes on, Msft is pushing more support content with Msft personnel presence(unlike these Nttp forums) to the web
forums.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Analy Otero [MSFT]
2009-10-02 23:05:01 UTC
You can find hotmail, movie maker and the new photo gallery forums here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowslive

- Analy Otero [MSFT]
Windows Live Photo Gallery Team Member
Ildhund
StephenB
2009-10-04 00:05:13 UTC
Strangely, these new forums are not visible to everyone yet. They appeared for
me Friday morning. I've sent a message to the forums team to inquire why they
are apparently not visible to all.
-steve
***@mvps.org
Gary VanderMolen
2009-10-04 04:35:34 UTC
Same thing here. No Hotmail or Windows Live Mail support to be seen there.
--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
...winston
2009-10-04 07:50:36 UTC
No Hotmail or Windows Live Mail forums or category selection at either of these locations

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/default.aspx
or
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowslive

Premature notice or some type of staged rollout ?
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
StephenB
2009-10-04 14:30:46 UTC
Don't know what is up as I didn't hear back from the forums team yet, but I do
indeed see a whole list of new forums when I sign in there:
These are the originals:
• Windows Live Family Safety
• Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, and FrameIt
• Sync and Devices
• Windows Live Events and Toolbar
These are the new ones that appeared on Friday for me:
• My Home Page and Profile
• Hotmail and Mail
• Windows Live Messenger
• People, Contacts, Groups, and Invitations
• Writer and Spaces
• Permissions and Sharing
• Account and Windows Live ID
• My.Live.com

Very mysterious. I'll note that if I go to the Windows Live category on Answers
without signing in, I only see the original 4. As soon as I sign in with my
LiveID I see the complete list.
-steve
***@mvps.org
...winston
2009-10-04 23:13:40 UTC
Nothing here
- with or without the same Live ID used previously/setup for the 'answers' forums
- with the Live ID used for http://windowslivehelp.com
- nothing with a new Live ID

You must be the sole beta tester <g>

Do the links for the new one's(e.g. Hotmail, Mail, Messenger, People) actually work ?
If so, can you cut and paste in a follow-up response..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Robert Aldwinckle
2009-10-04 20:20:16 UTC
Post by ...winston
No Hotmail or Windows Live Mail forums or category selection at either of these locations
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/default.aspx
or
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowslive
FWIW I tested both of those by
1. opening them both
2. checking which Cookies were used by them
3. deleting all Cookies which were used (including ones which
were accessed but not written)
4. reopening both of them with my primary Live ID (non-Hotmail account)
5. reopening both of them with my secondary Live ID (Hotmail .ca account)

BTW what a collection of Cookies! (even with Live Toolbar disabled.)
Post by ...winston
Premature notice or some type of staged rollout ?
US Hotmail Live ID accounts only? <eg>

Robert
---
Post by ...winston
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
...winston
2009-10-05 09:02:44 UTC
Post by Robert Aldwinckle
FWIW I tested both of those by
1. opening them both
2. checking which Cookies were used by them
3. deleting all Cookies which were used (including ones which
were accessed but not written)
4. reopening both of them with my primary Live ID (non-Hotmail account)
5. reopening both of them with my secondary Live ID (Hotmail .ca account)
BTW what a collection of Cookies! (even with Live Toolbar disabled.)
Robert,
Try this one..it was posted by Microsoft Support in a thread in the Sync and Devices forum as a valid link for Live Messenger forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmessenger/threads

Here's the Sync and Devices thread it(the above link) appeared.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlsync/thread/2a8e41c9-1fa7-45ff-a73a-1147d66f1cd7
- second post included the link, my response was the third(informing it doesn't appear to work)
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Robert Aldwinckle
2009-10-05 23:01:59 UTC
Post by ...winston
Robert,
Try this one..it was posted by Microsoft Support in a thread in the Sync and Devices forum as a valid link for Live Messenger
forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmessenger/threads
Aha!

<quote>
You are not authorized to perform this action.
</quote>
Post by ...winston
Here's the Sync and Devices thread it(the above link) appeared.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlsync/thread/2a8e41c9-1fa7-45ff-a73a-1147d66f1cd7
- second post included the link, my response was the third(informing it doesn't appear to work)
That's Ok. Synch and Devices is one of the 4 forums
that I am (apparently) allowed to see (with my main Live ID
--non Hotmail.)

No difference if I logout or if I login with my secondary Live ID--
live.ca account.)

Robert
---
...winston
2009-10-06 05:10:43 UTC
Post by ...winston
Here's the Sync and Devices thread it(the above link) appeared.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlsync/thread/2a8e41c9-1fa7-45ff-a73a-1147d66f1cd7
- second post included the link, my response was the third(informing it doesn't appear to work)
That's Ok. Synch and Devices is one of the 4 forums
that I am (apparently) allowed to see (with my main Live ID
--non Hotmail.)
No difference if I logout or if I login with my secondary Live ID--
live.ca account.)
Robert
---
Welcome to the 'unauthorized club' ! <g>
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail