Sharing a folder with people without a Live ID
Ducati
2009-10-28 21:26:01 UTC
I found in a few places that you are supposed to be able to do this
http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!31546.entry?ccr=834#comment

It says that when ou select someone to share a folder with, the system ask
you if you want to send them an email, and offers the option to let them
access the folder without using a live ID.

Unfortunately, when I do this, I do not have that option, and when people
click on the link they are asked to sign in with a live ID.

Has this option been removed, or is there some hidden configuration to
enable that option ??

Apreciate any feedback
Ducati
2009-10-28 21:35:02 UTC
I just found the answer to my own question.

I was trying to achive this by adding people in the permission, and there
you do not have the option.

You have to use the "Send Link" Menu (on the add file , Create folder,
slideshow menu line) and there you do have the option. You can just send that
link to yourself, and then forward it to whoever you like, and they can
access the folder without loging in.
Mohan...
2009-10-29 08:44:14 UTC
Post by Ducati
I just found the answer to my own question.
I was trying to achive this by adding people in the permission, and there
you do not have the option.
You have to use the "Send Link" Menu (on the add file , Create folder,
slideshow menu line) and there you do have the option. You can just send that
link to yourself, and then forward it to whoever you like, and they can
access the folder without loging in.
This is an useful piece of info. I was earlier adding people under Edit
Permissions, and sending the link to log-in with Windows Live-ID. It
used to be a problem with non-Hotmail/Live/MSN users who had to create
an ID with or without an email account option to log-in. This feature
solves the hassle.

I feel there is no need to send the link to ourselves fist, and then
send to others. The system allows adding many mail-ids with a brief note
through "Send a link" to intimate directly.

Only, if the receivers in turn send/forward the link to others, can they
as well access without our knowing, which is as good as making it Public
to an extent? In the first method we have a control on who can access.
Also, is there a way to know/verify who has accessed?

Mohan...
Ducati